Friday, October 30, 2009

Telkom Indonesia Logo - the good, the bad and the ugly

Telecom New Zealand isn't the only telecommunications company with a spanking new logo. Say hello to the new logo of Telkom Indonesia! 

At first glance, I preferred Telkom's new logo. But after taking a longer time to observe both logos, I can't decide which one is better - or worse! The old Telkom logo reminds me a lot of the AT&T logo which plays around with the idea of connecting everyone in the world hence the globe image. However, I felt that the stripes diagonally across the globe of Telkom's old logo did not have any meaning to it therefore making it come across as a very bad imitation of AT&T's logo. In addition to that, the colors didn't complement each other very well and the font used was rather bland. If the whole objective of the logo was to make the brand stand out, the old logo certainly did not do a very good job. 

Telkom's new logo has some major differences from its previous one although some changes weren't necessarily any better. I like the typography used in the new logo which is Gotham Rounded. It has a softer look to it which made it look more modern. The logo made the brand appear friendlier and more approachable too. I also liked the different contrasts of blue compared to the previous blue and purple because the different shades of blue matched well. What I didn't like though was the imagery used in the logo. The whole globe idea is still there with the use of the circle image, but what is up with that yellow shape that sits on top of the circle? Telkom Indonesia probably had a significant meaning behind the ambiguous looking yellow shape but to me, it seems like a crown sitting on a person's head or as BrandNew stated, "...looking like a rooster." 

Indosat is Telkom Indonesia's main competitor and personally, I like it a lot better than both of Telkom Indonesia's logos. To me, Indosat's logo is a combination of modern and funky and will definitely appeal to most people. 

So, the bottom line is: can Telkom Indonesia's new logo tackle its competition? You tell me. 

Image source; Brand New 

3 comments:

  1. I feel like their old logo is more professional but the new one... speaks to or reflects their people/culture?

    I like the old one best out of all three.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the new Indosat logo. I like how the molecule-ish looking thing is 3D and incorporates more of the company's idea of being global and more in touch with its clients. At the same time, the original first logo does have a more professional look to it. Their color is also more of a corporate color- the dark blue/navy. Overall, the newest logo is modern and appealing to me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While looking at Telkom Indonesia's new logo I thought the yellow shape was an abstract hand. Conveying the message that the world is within your reach. But it could also be a rooster. It would be interesting to find out what the intended message is.

    ReplyDelete