Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Lilian's Poster

Name: Lilian Chan
Project: Poster
Date: 10/07/09

Event & Issue
The ‘Wrap-A-Thon 2009’ is an annual event organized by a non-for-profit organization called Partnership with Children. Partnership With Children is an organization based in New York City that provides emotional and social support for children so that they can achieve success in their lives. The ‘Wrap-A-Thon 2009’ is an event calling out for volunteers to help wrap gifts for children in time for Christmas.

Visual Message
I wanted my poster to give off a festive vibe since the purpose of this event is to seek for volunteers to wrap gifts for children. Besides that, since the event is held in vibrant and modern New York City, I wanted my overall background to have a mod feel to it hence I made the New York City skyline appear very geometric.

Audience
This poster will be found in the streets of New York City and it is intended for teenagers and adults who are willing to lend a hand to wrap gifts for children.

Design strategy
Firstly, since the event is about wrapping gifts for children for Christmas, I wanted my poster to have a some kind of Christmas spirit to it. Therefore, I implemented Christmas colors which are red and green in my poster. The color scheme worked well with the color of the organization’s logo which is red and white. The background design was meant to resemble New York City’s skyline since that was the location of the event but to keep with the Christmas theme, I replaced some skyscrapers with Christmas trees. The text that I used to line up vertically in the trees are meant to act as the branch of the trees while the bullets and exclamation marks are meant to act as the trees’ ornaments. Lastly, I used Wendy LP Std Bold for my catchphrase of the poster because said typeface contains a lot of twirls making the text look like ribbons used for wrapping presents.

Style sheet
Catchphrase text: Wendy LP Std. Bold, 72/86.4, tracking 0
Body text: Stempel Schneidler Std. Black, 18/21.6, metrics, tracking 0
Title text: Stempel Schneidler Std. Black, 46/43.2, tracking 0
Subtitle text: Stempel Schneidler Std. Black, 30/36, tracking 0

Extras
While looking for pictures, I stumbled across a greeting card online which later on become my inspiration for my poster. The greeting card can be found here: http://cardsandcalendars.org/product_info.php?cPath=1_22&products_id=57/

No comments:

Post a Comment