Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Type Camp Anybody?

An interesting article I stumbled upon while looking through different blog sites, talked about Type Camp. I didn't even know such a thing was in existence! Type Camp, really???? This is so new to me and I find this so interesting! It's like band camp, but...it's for people into typography/graphic designers. They make it sound like a retreat center for those in need of creative inspiration or along that border line. That is so cool...So if I was a writer and I had an extreme case of writer's block, I would go on a retreat and come back refreshed, inspired, and ready to write? They should definitely make a camp for Writer's Block too.

Type Camp was first started by a teacher and typographer by the name of Dr. Shelley Gruendler. Along with great teachers, a nice scenery, and other typography enthusiasts, what more could a designer want for a relaxing weekend? The best part is, you don't have to be a professional so no one is overqualified or under-qualified. If you are interested in the field, you are in. You also get chefs to prepare your meals! I feel like I'm advertising for this camp, but really I thought this was so cool. They also give you options of traveling AND learning typography at the same time. For instance, Type Camp is doing a trip to India to learn type in India such as Calligraphy. They also offer experimentation with bookbinding, silkscreening, etc. If India isn't enough, they are also doing programs in London, Australia, Chennai, and Bauhaus. Chennai and Bauhaus? I never even heard of those places...wow.

This just also reminds me about the universal language of type. Although languages may serve as barriers across countries, typography is a language all in itself.
I think it's also reassuring and comforting to know that as a designer, despite what age you are and how far within your career you are, there is always room for improvement, inspiration, and new knowledge. And with places such as Type Camp, you have the necessary sources and opportunities that will give that to you. If I end up getting more interested in the graphic arts, I would definitely take one of these trips! It would also maybe be cool if the upper-level Graphic Arts students took a field trip here for a weekend.

(http://ilovetypography.com/img/type-camp2.jpg)

1 comment:

  1. AHHHH I WANT TO GO!!!! What a great way to refresh your creative energy.

    ReplyDelete