Friday, October 16, 2009

Lego My Logo



There is a new book out on the history of Lego which features a rundown of the different logos the company has used in the past leading up to their 1972-created current logo (pictured above).

Here's how Lego has branded itself over the years:




Since the current logo has been in place for over 30 years, it's interesting to see what Lego's identity used to be (and find out that Lego is based in Denmark).

I don't know, though, if I like the old logos because they don't seem to represent Lego's creative and fun qualities. The dark colors of the past logos don't get that message across as much as the bright red and yellow colors Lego markets today.

If you want to find out more about the book, go here.

4 comments:

  1. You brought up a good point that the dark colors used in the past don't convey the message that the bright colors do today. I think that red and yellow is much more effective in grabbing a child's attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a life long fan of Legos, I have to start by saying that their current logo is highly recognizable and well known so it is no surprise that they haven't changed it in the last 30 years. I also agree that the color choice is better but want to point out that the bottom "old" logo is very similar to the new one. Kind of reusing the same idea like other brands have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it was definitely a good idea to use colors that are brighter and less dull. As Ryan pointed out, it's interesting how they also traced back their history of logos and made one that was similar to its older logos. I think this consistency was a good idea, but the change in colors is definitely what helps people identify Legos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow this is awesome. I have to say I am enamored with Lego's current logo. The old ones are special but when I pick up a lego box, I'm looking for the signature black and yellow outline juxtaposition.

    ReplyDelete