Thursday, October 8, 2009

Ryan Gerhardt

Advertisement

Event & Issue: I decided to choose the issue/organization and then find an upcoming event rather than choose an event first, for any non-profit. The organization I chose was Make-A-Wish because it is an organization that I’ve admired for a while. Terminal illnesses or any serious illnesses tend to make children act more mature than their age because they have to deal with these complex issues. Make-A-Wish helps children act like children and experience their wish. The upcoming event I chose was a golf event because it is relatively local, New York City, and I know a little bit about golf.

Visual Message: Visual, I wanted the ad to be more about the organization than the event because I felt that was the best way to distinguish the advertisement since many organizations have golfing events. To show this, I faded the golf course behind a blue screen, blue being the organizations recognizable color, and then played off a golfer’s goal to be on the leader board at an event. Number one contributor in a sense.

Audience: The audience for this advertisement is more of a corporate golfer. The contribution to enter is a considerable amount and the event is being held at a past U.S. Open course. This advertisement would probably run in a magazine like GQ or Business Weekly, a magazine that would be read by businessmen and women.

Design Strategy: My main aim was for the design to be simple and clean, as few colors and juxtapositions as possible. Being aimed at the corporate businessperson, the advertisement needs to clearly convey the message with as little distraction from the graphics as possible. The scorecard is effect I think because any golfer can associate with it, and it conveys much of the information needed for the event. Upon closer inspection, the course in the background can be seen which clearly supports the event. The main tagline “Join the Leader board” implies the idea that participating makes you a winner, which everyone wants to be. The type used on the scorecard, Serlio LT Std., is clean so as not to interfere with the message. The font used in the message, ITC Giovanni Std., is both bold and italic to imply importance and motion, a call to action. Also, I thought that ITC Giovanni Std. was very similar looking to the Make-A-Wish logotype and added continuity.

Style Sheet:

Event Title: Serlio LT Std., 24/20, no kerning or tracking

Event Headings and Years: Serlio LT Std., 30/36, no kerning or tracking

Organization Achievements: Serlio LT Std., 24/28.8, no kerning or tracking

Display Type: ITC Giovanni Std. Bold Italic, 48,36/102, no kerning or tracking

Sub-display Type: ITC Giovanni Std. Bold Italic, 20/36, no kerning or tracking

Contact Information: ITC Giovanni Std. Book, 12/14.4, no kerning or tracking

Extras: I think the blue screen that I used really adds to the idea that it is a Make-A-Wish event because that color is so iconic with the organization. Also, the one typeface being so similar looking to the logo compliments the visual appeal I think.

2 comments:

  1. I thought this poster was professional and something I could see in a magazine.

    I think you did a good job communicating to your target audience by using the scorecard and the font choice.

    and I like how the yellow shooting star thing is in the shape of a smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colors you chose are very calming and inviting, which accomplishes the goal of keeping a viewer engaged with your message.

    ReplyDelete