Thursday, October 22, 2009

Logo Project




Visual Message: With my logo I am trying to convey the fact that I work well with other people and am able to do the job assigned, but I’m also creative and can stand out. The letters are my initials to represent me, and they fit together well just like the gears that are part of the “g.” The second gear connects to the middle one, cooperation/teamwork, but the second breaks out of the side of the “g” showing that I can be a stand out worker and a creative thinker outside of the constrains of the situation. I used deeper colors to show a serious and professional tone, but at the same time the color being red shows my enthusiasm and intensity. The first impression should show me to be able, dependable, having potential to grow.

Audience: The audience is a professional employer in either a business/marketing field or else political field. I feel it would work well for either because the message of being able to work a part of a bigger whole transcends a lot of fields. Meant to imply that I can pull my own weight and then some.

Design Strategy: Overall, the design is supposed to be seen as a cohesive unit despite the fact that there are at least four separate parts. The letters and gears work together though in a general flow from left to right, top to bottom. I kept the logo the same across all pieces and used the same fonts, but I did change the placement of my name on all three. On the business card, I rely on the ability of the logo to bring the reader top to bottom and use it and my name to “box in” my information. Slightly different on my stationary, I dropped my name down sideways below the logo mostly out of the utilitarian nature of being able to write a letter. I think is works well though to draw the readers eyes’ down the page. Neither of those designs, however, would work on a envelope so I tucked my name into the gear again to create a frame for my information. I think using Monotype Modern Std. Extended for my name added a distinctive quality since it was a serif and much of the logo is block like. My information on the other hand is in News Gothic MT Bold because I did want it to conform to the basic look of the logo. Being a sans serif I think it fits in well and complements the serif type in my name. the gears remain a consistent theme/backdrop across all three pieces.

Style Sheet:

Stationary Name: Monotype Modern Std. Extended, 30/36, no kerning, tracking 50

Stationary Address and Email: News Gothic MT Bold, 9/10.8, no kerning, no tracking

Business Card Name: Monotype Modern Std. Extended, 18/21.6, no kerning, tracking 60

Business Card Information: News Gothic MT Bold, 8/9.6, no kerning, no tracking

Envelope Name: Monotype Modern Std. Extended, 12/14.4, no kerning, tracking 60

Envelope Address: News Gothic MT Bold, 6/7.2, no kerning, no tracking

Sources and influence: I Google image searched gears but used no one in particular for reference or inspiration. Most were too complicated. In the end, made own gear on Illustrator out of three rectangles and a hexagon.

Extras: I used red to set my logo apart. In business, dark blue with yellow or else dark red are the “power color” combinations. Blue is overused and slightly boring, yellow is tough on the eyes. Red is a strong color that also inspires thoughts of intensity and enthusiasm, both of which I can bring to a job.

3 comments:

  1. I really love your logo design. The abstract layout & where you placed the gears really made your logo unique. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a really good job keeping the gear icon a strong theme throughout your designs. Nice work! I especially like your letterhead

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was going through everyone's logos I came across your and it completely stuck out at me. It's so unique and eye-catching, yet consistent and organized. I especially like your font choices and how they compliment the pictorial graphics.

    ReplyDelete