Thursday, October 22, 2009

Owl Hu "Hoot" Logos






Visual Message:

I wanted my logos to be very simple and clean. In order to convey the message I wanted the audience to receive; I chose one prominent image to be the logo of my first and last name. The owl that I created in Illustrator was a play off my last name “Hu.” In an effort to divert confusion on the mispronunciation of my last name, I used the owl and the often associated phrase “Hoot” as the defining characteristic in my logo. However, I wanted the owl to look not “cartoony” but rather more abstract and creative – also conveying the path I want to take in my future career. Owls are often associated with the concept of wisdom and I wanted to express that message to my targeted audience: that I possess a sense of identity and intelligence while keeping it to my own style and personality.


Audience:

The targeted audience of my logo designs is more geared towards the creative track. In an effort to establish my own personality and identity through the designs, I wanted something quirky and unique.


Design strategy:

I designed my logo under the idea that I wanted one defining “factor” in my logo. Looking at all the examples, I was especially influenced by the ones that were simple, sleek, and to-the-point. The placement of the owl was difficult because I realized that I didn’t want it to take up too much space in my logos without hindering and affecting the design my first and last name. But in the end, I chose an appropriate position, especially in my business card, that I thought appropriately displayed my logo and name combined. I created many versions of the owl, and realized that the majority of them were too intricate. I realized that in order to draw up something abstract, I needed simple shapes and identifying characteristics that everyone could relate to the owl looking like an “owl.” I also played with the placement of shapes to make my owl. On my business card, I only incorporated the “head” of the owl, and used the earmark in the g of my first name as the nose of the owl. I wanted the effect that the owl was “peeking” out from my name. I later cropped the earmark of the g and incorporated throughout my whole design.


Style sheet:

Stationary Name: Bernhard Modern, 60/72, optical kerning, -60

Stationary Address & E-mail: Stempel Garamond, 9/10.8, metrics kerning

Business Card Name: Bernhard Modern, 48/57.6, optical kerning, tracking -60

Business Card Contact Information: Bernhard Modern, 10/12, metrics kerning


Sources & Influences: I based the design of my logo off Japanese artist, Kaoru Kawano’s painting. I liked the simple shapes he used to design the owl, making it very abstract.

Link on google images: http://images.artelino.com/images/items/19884sx.jpg

4 comments:

  1. I think the best part of this is how you used the ear of the g to create the nose of the owl. Its very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've come to really appreciate the use of geometric shapes to form an abstract object. The parts of the owl are all separate but your well-made pieces and precise placement make a strong logo. Also, the contrast between the green and black work very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this one! I like how the g makes the nose. I love the black paired with green. Your business card looks very professional but still gives off style and creativity. nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angela, I like the way that you used the "g" as the owl's nose. Also the colors are complimentary to the overall design.

    ReplyDelete