Friday, October 23, 2009

Lilian Chan Logo And Stationery System







Visual Message
I wanted my logo and stationery system to be feminine withe a slight creative edge to it. The impression I was aiming for while designing my logo and stationery system was a fun and approachable one as I intend to write for women's magazines that discuss about all sorts of women's issues. At the same time, I wanted to make sure that the logo and stationery system was not overwhelming to show my preference for minimalism and simplicity.

Audience
People in the women's magazines industry

Design strategy

I was inspired by the logo of the universal female sign which is most often found on the doors of female washrooms. I wanted to use this sign because people are already familiar with it. However, I did not want my logo to resemble the sign completely so I added the sign into a rectangular shape and pushed it to the side of the shape to create a 'cropped' feel. I used the sign to signify my interest in women's issues. Instead of just using the female sign as it is, I gave it a little twist by drawing the female's legs out as a pen to indicate my passion in writing. Altogether, I wanted my logo to present my interest in writing for women's magazines. In the logo itself, the image is cropped and the female's leg or rather the pen is sticking out to project an image of a woman mid-walking or a pen mid-writing. The designs among the three pieces of stationery had some variation. For the business card, I kept the front clean as I gave the back of the card a bolder design. I felt that the back of the card was striking enough to make a good and lasting first impression as business cards are usually given during first meetings. The envelope design was kept minimal in front to give a more formal impression while the back of the envelope contains my logo acting as a sticker to seal the envelope closed. Finally, the letterhead was kept clean as well with the logo bleeding off the page while the foot of the logo points downwards to the address.

Style Sheet
Business card name: Monoline Script Mt Std, 10.5/12.6, metrics
Business card contact details: Bell Centennial Std Sub Caption, 9.5/11,4 metrics
Business card back: Monoline Script MT Std, 24/28.8, metrics
Envelope front (name): Monoline Script Mt Std, 10.5/12.6 metrics
Envelope front (contact details): Bell Centennial Std Sub Caption, 8/9.6 metrics
Stationery name: Monoline Script Mt Std, 14/16.8, metrics
Stationery contact details: Bell Centennial Std Sub Caption, 8/9.6, metrics

Extras
I used pink as my logo background to symbolize feminity. It was a brighter shade of pink to show the fun and approachable side of me but I kept the pink in the letterhead light as to not overwhelm the content of the letter. Plus, pink is my favorite color!

1 comment:

  1. I think you did a great job. I love the color that you used because it makes the logo definitely stand out. Also, combining the ideas of women and writing (universal female symbol and pen) in your logo was very creative and well done.

    ReplyDelete