Thursday, October 22, 2009

Logo Project






Visual Message

My logo is a green butterfly with the body of a calligraphy pen. Although I am a public relations major, I do not know what specific field I would like to work in. I can promise, however, good quality work and the ability to quickly adapt to environments. Therefore, the butterfly represents the potential I have to transform into a valued and appreciated professional, no matter what field I work in – similar to how a butterfly develops from a cocoon. In addition, I wanted to express that I like to write and consider writing to be one of my strengths. Therefore, instead of using a real butterfly body, I drew the calligraphy pen to represent that skill, which is especially valued in the public relations field.


Audience

This stationery set and business card is designed for employers at a public relations agency.


Design Strategy

I wanted to make sure that people would recognize the calligraphy pen in place of the butterfly’s body. Therefore, I tried to make it seem as though the butterfly’s wings and antennas were hand-drawn. The butterfly is generally regarded as peaceful and calm, and I wanted to depict these characteristics in my logo. I chose Palatino for most of my font choices because it was clean and simple, which I thought was a good portrayal of another set of my own characteristics. I used the font Constantia for the stationery name because, in its bold italics, it looks somewhat handwritten, which helps to tie in the calligraphy pen once again. I wanted to keep a consistent design throughout my stationery set so I tried to apply the striped and boxed patterns in most of my pieces. 


Style Sheet

Stationery Name: Constantia Bold Italic; 24/28.8; metrics kerning; tracking: 0

Stationery Contact Information: Palatino Regular; 10/12; metrics kerning; tracking: 0

Business Card Name: Palatino Bold; 10/12; metrics kerning; tracking: 0

Business Card Contact Information: Palatino Bold; 8/9.6; metrics kerning; tracking: 0

Envelope Name: Palatino Bold; 10/12; metrics kerning; tracking: 0

Envelope Contact Information: Palatino Bold; 8/9.6; metrics kerning; tracking: 0


Extras: Color

My logo is colored in two different shades of green. I did this in order to show that I care for the environment and that “going green” is important to me. This “going green” concept is very widely used these days and may now even be considered cliché, but I thought that gave me even more of a reason to emphasize it. If I happen to work at a “green” agency, it will show employers that my standards meet theirs. I also used a tinted shade of purple in the background and design of my stationery set and business card because I thought it complemented the greens well.


3 comments:

  1. I really like your color usage throughout all aspects of the system. In each case, I feel that without the bar or blocks of color the pieces would be lacking something. With these things though, the pages feel fuller. I agree also that the green and purple compliment each other very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought your butterfly concept made good sense and was really applicable. It lets you relate it to any field, and so you can use it for anything. I also like the use of the calligraphy pen as the butterfly's body- it's subtle and well thought of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love your logo. It has layers of meanings! I love all the colors that you used. I especially like the boxes that you used to add depth to all your stationary system. It looks very professional.

    ReplyDelete