Thursday, October 8, 2009

Poster Project- Liberty in North Korea


Event and Issue:
The event is a benefit gala to raise money for LiNK (Liberty in North Korea). LiNK is an organization that aims to educate the world on the crisis in North Korea, provide humanitarian aid to North Koreans, and also protect, advocate and empower North Korean refugees.

Audience: I targeted human rights activists who are aware of the crisis in North Korea. I also designed this poster for Koreans and Korean Americans to alert them on the severity of the issue, as many ignore the reality.

Visual Message: North Korea is a communist country where many civilians are held in concentration camps and they have absolutely no freedom and are tortured and starved. I conveyed this message through a bunny that is caught in barbed wire.

Design Strategy: The text and image of my poster communicate the same message about the lack of freedom of North Koreans. I used a bunny because Koreans (and others who know anything about Korea) recognize their country to be bunny-shaped on a map. I used barbed wire to represent the concentration camps and torture that many North Koreans face and also to emphasize that they do not have any freedom. The wire also looks like chains which still gives the similar message. The barbed wire is only on the upper half because that half of the bunny represents North Korea on a map.

For my type I used Avenir and made all of the I’s lowercase to reference the organization’s logo. The type also complemented the image because of the hierarchy of the words- FREEDOM lines up with the bunny and the black letters above it resembles a floor for the bunny.

Extra: I made the background blue to represent water because Korea is a peninsula. I used the color and design of the North Korean flag on the bunny to make it clear that the cause has to do with North Korea. I also made a small tribute/reference to the South Korean flag with the shape of the tail to complete the message that the bunny represents Korea. I included that to also speak to South Koreans- to tell them that North Koreans are Korean too, so South Koreans should care about what is happening to their own race.

Style Sheet:
Display Type: Avenir LT Std 95 Black, 59/ 70.8, metrics kerning, tracking 0
Event Title: ITC Legacy Serif Std Medium, 48/ 57.6, metrics kerning, tracking 0
Event Date: Avenir LT Std 65 Medium, 13/ 15.6. metrics kerning, tracking 0
Speakers: Avenir LT Std 65 Medium, 18/ 21.6, metrics kerning, tracking 0

4 comments:

  1. I like this poster. The idea is very creative. I like how the poster is extremely balanced which makes it more appealing to the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love the poster. I'm actually from South Korea, so I can definitely relate to the poster more. There are so many things that add to the design, such as the rabbit, flag, and colors. It is very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was really impressed by this poster. I think you showed in great detail the cause you were supporting on so many levels. I had never noticed before that Korea was shaped like a rabbit but after showing that map the resemblance is uncanny. I also like how you varied the text using the lowercase "i" like in the organizations name. Most of the ideas you used seem simple after you point them out but you executed it so well that you don't notice all the little references until further inspection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an amazing poster. I love how you used the rabbit as a representation of Korea and how you included both the North Korean and South Korean flag in your design. Your main visual is very impressive and it looks like you put a lot of thought into it.

    ReplyDelete