Friday, October 16, 2009







Little Debbie Snacks. Aunt Jemima pancakes. Nike. All the logos listed above could be identified more readily by the average American than could their state senator or the state capital of Wyoming. Cheyenne. The point is, logos claim a space of "real estate" in the consumers mind so you need to make sure that it's a good association. I'd pretty easily bet that all the above logos have a positive association not just because you like the products but also because the logo's design. Little Debbie and Aunt Jemima are warm and welcoming and there's no mistake that both logos are women. Let's face it, traditional gender roles a side, are you going to buy a home-made cookie from a man or a woman? And Nike's symbol is just so iconic. Smooth, fluid, and flashy. Just like their products and the feeling they would like people to have about their products. The swoosh has become readily associated with victory which is what they wanted. So we know all these logos, now what can we do with this information?
Logo the Board Game, info courtesy of http://www.logodesignlove.com/in-other-news. A board game based entirely on logo identification. Is this a game I would want to be good at? I'm not sure. Don't get me wrong, I want to win out of sheer competitiveness. But is it really a good thing that I know so many commercial logos when I don't know things that are actually important such as where our economy is really going? I just find it interesting the way Americans are exposed to information and commercialization.

No comments:

Post a Comment