Thursday, October 8, 2009

My Poster Project

Event and Issue
I designed my poster for the Avon Walk for breast cancer. This event is to raise both awareness and money to help fight and eradicate breast cancer. Breast cancer is a disease that affects almost everyone in this day in age. Maybe not directly, but everyone has at least one family member or friend who has fought this disease. I myself have been affected, as my grandmother fought breast cancer when I was younger. That was my personal reason for choosing this event.

Visual Message
The message I want to convey is one of seriousness, but not one of morbidity. This event is for a serious issue, but it is also a joyous one where people come together for one common goal. Therefore, I intend to illicit a tone of seriousness, but also joy.

Audience
The intended audience for this poster is those who have been affected by breast cancer in some way and who may want to do something to help fight it. This poster would be found in the New York City, and would thus be viewed by people who take the train, subway, or who are walking through the city.

Design Strategy
I chose as my dominant image a silhouette of the Empire State Building. This is to emphasize the fact that the walk occurs in New York City, and makes this event unique. Around the building, I placed sneakers that appear to be hanging off the building, and their laces form the pink ribbon. This ties it all in together. The initial impression my poster makes is one of seriousness, as you are first confronted with a dominant silhouette of the building and sneakers. The typeface I used for the display font is a sans serif. It is both simple and bold, which adds to this tone of seriousness.

Style Sheet
Display Type: Avenir LT Std black, 70/84, optical kerning, tracking 0
Supporting Display Type: Avenir LT Std heavy, 30/36, metrics kerning, tracking 0
Event Title: Perpetua Titling MT bold, 24/28.8, metrics kerning, tracking 0
Event Place: Perpetua Titling MT bold, 18/21.6, metrics kerning, tracking 0
Event Date/More Info: Perpetua Titling MT bold, 14/16.8, metrics kerning, tracking 0

Color
I decided to use different tones of pink for this poster since that is the color associated with breast cancer. I thought that by using a lot of pink, people would more easily identify the poster with breast cancer. I chose a purple background because it works well with the pink. I tried black, but although it too worked well with the pink, it was too morbid and depressing of a color. The purple background gives the poster more substance and helps it stand out.

6 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the colors you used! They complement each other very well. Furthermore, the design draws the eyes to the main visual, and leads eventually to the text. It's very well-balanced and creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree that this is a very creative spin on a breast cancer event. There are so many events that after a while they seem to blend into one another but using the shoes and laces to make the well known ribbon shape is very effective. I also like how the text narrows as you reach the building and then widens as the building goes down. It draws your eyes in very nicely to the text and actual message.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your poster! It was very creative of you to use the shoes and laces to form the shape of the ribbon. I think the visual gets the point across perfectly - it gives a general sense of where it is and what it is without needing text to explain it. The colors match well together while also representing the cause of the event.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colors you used too. Making the shoelaces into a ribbon was really clever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The symbols you used are really effective. You have the building that represents the city, the shoes represent walking, and the laces are the ribbon. Good job telling a story with visuals!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your two main symbols: the empire state building and the tied sneakers could stand alone and the viewer would still have an understanding of NYC and some sort of run/walk. Obviously that is a very good thing. Your use of color further tells how the event is for breast cancer and how Avon is the sponsor. I was contemplating over whether you even needed the "be in it to find it" type because your "walk the city find a cure" is so strong. However, I enjoy the second part because it shows there is a difference between favoring an event and actually supporting it. It's a great call to action.

    ReplyDelete