Thursday, September 24, 2009

My Resume and Rationale

Visual message Through the design of my resume, I intend to convey a message of simplicity and professionalism. My wordmark is simple, but the different tones of the names and the typeface help it to stand out and give a hint of creativity. The two-tone wordmark ties into my section headings, in which I used the same font family and grey tone, which creates a more even flow to my resume and makes it easier to read. The different sections of my resume are stacked on top of each other but grouped by lines, which allows the reader to easily distinguish the different sections and also helps create a more even flow. This tone of simplicity helps to create the general message I hope to portray to employers, which is one of professionalism.
Audience-As a magazine major, this resume will be sent out to different magazines. Specifically, I hope to send it to magazines such as Rolling Stone, which is a very well respected magazine.
Design strategy-My design, which is simple yet stands out, helps to communicate to my audience that I am professional, yet can stand out. Since my wordmark is large, two-toned, and set to the top left of the body, it stands out right away and makes a bold statement, allowing the reader to clearly read my name. The body of my resume is set inline with my last name, it is as though the reader is pushed to read the body. Since the body is set over to the left, it also forces the reader’s eye towards it. The font I used for my wordmark is simple, yet it helps it to stand out. The font I use for my body is also very simple and easy to read, but also one that is not often used.

Style sheet-
Wordmark: First Name- ITC Tiffany Std Bold, tint 50%, 38/45.6, optical kerning, tracking 0
Last Name- ITC Tiffany Std Bold, 54/64.8,metrics kerning, tracking 0
Address and Email: News Gothic MT Regular, 9/10.8, metrics kerning, tracking 0
Section Headers: ITC Tiffany Gothic Std Demi, 12/14.4, metrics kerning, tracking 0
Body Text: Titles-News Gothic MT Bold, 10/12, metrics kerning, tracking 0
Locations/Dates- News Gothic MT Italic, 9/10.8, metrics kerning, tracking 0
Explanations- News Gothic MT Regular, 9/10.8, metrics kerning, tracking 0

Document Grid
Top Margin: 6p0.5
Bottom Margin: 2p2.75
Left Body Margin: 1p5.25
Right Body Margin: 5p8.5

4 comments:

  1. Your last name in your resume stands out but doesn't overwhelm your first name at all. I really like how everything is centered in the middle - it draws my full attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Scott,

    I agree with Angela, by putting the text in the center it makes it hard not to pay attention. The white space really does its job by pulling the reader's attention back to your name when they are done reading. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how simple and bold your wordmark is. This resume looks so professional! I also like your subtle use of the grey...it adds nice texture but isn't distracting from the rest of the information

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoy the different shades of contrast within your resume. As a magazine major, I believe your boldness of your wordmark reflects your ability to provide something eye-grabbing and yet esthetically pleasing to your viewers. I especially like how your wordmark has your contact info right bellow it making the group form an neat oval shape, Perhaps, when you send your resume to Rolling Stones you could work to make your wordmark and info outline a guitar shape? Although that may also be a bit crazy!

    ReplyDelete