Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Current Event: Logo Design And Branding Trends 2009

Now, I know half of 2009 is already gone, but in order to keep up with the design world, observing logo design and branding trends of 2009 is a must. According to the article Logo Design & Branding Trends 2009, 2009 is pushing for "more is the new less"; this much is obvious as we scrutinize the various logo designs and branding trends that the author of this article has selected.

In the article, the author pinpoints nine trends of 2009: psychedelic pop backgrounds, origami, tactile logos, arabesque, classic modernism, pictograms, 80's geometry lesson, typography logos, street art and puzzle patterns. With each trend, the author describes them and shows pictures to illustrate said trend. Of all trends, my favorite is the psychedelic pop background trend because I like the many colors that are used, and also because such look appears youthful and slightly bohemian.

After having read the article, I tried to think if any of the new logos that appeared in 2009 followed these so-called trends. It didn't take too long before I spotted that India-based Videocon's new look which came out in July 2009 took on the classic modernism trend. In the same month, the City of Melbourne also had a new logo to replace their previous logo designed in the 1990s, and its new logo seemed to have taken on the origami trend. In May 2009, Target's private brand Up & Up also followed one of 2009's logo design trend which is pictograms.



What really pulled my interest in this article is not the article itself but the numerous comments that were posted up. There were quite a few commentors who said that these new trends were in fact not "new" at all and were not original and there were others who said that there shouldn't be trends for logos as logos are supposed to look iconic and timeless or companies would have to change their logos every so often.

In a nutshell, although the article did shed some insight on some interesting logo designs, I have to agree with some of the comments posted in the article. Trend or no trend, I think that the ultimate goal of a logo is to represent whatever it's supposed to represent, and to represent them well.

Image source: Logo Design & Branding Trends 2009, Brand New

3 comments:

  1. Very good article. I was drawn to it because of the images that you posted which says a lot for the logos themselves i think because they did their job and attracted my attention. I do have to agree with the comment that these themes or styles are not new, clearly since some are retro style. However, I do find them original and effective in creating a company image (especially the Videocon one which is very modern and eye catching).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this article too. I'm not too crazy about the psychedelic one, but the styles are all very creative.

    My favorite one they featured is the Typographic logos which seem to be timeless. I like that they are simple and professional looking. However, those comments brought up a good point on how the logos have to represent the company...and not all companies want simplistic styles.
    -Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the brand change Target is going through, from Target Brand items to up&up. I buy a lot of Target brand items (because I'm employed there and because I love Target), so for them to change the brand to look a whole lot more appealing, they will only be gaining more dedicated consumers like me.

    ReplyDelete