Friday, September 11, 2009

Reaction to Lupton's "Thinking WIth Type"


I never really thought too much about typeface until reading Ellen Lupton's "Thinking With Type." The world of type, for me anyway, is pretty much limited to Times New Roman. However, after reading Lupton it has become clear that typeface does much more than just create words or a logotype on a piece of paper. We are bombarded on a daily basis by typeface. Often times, unbeknownst to us, we form connections and emotional value to them.
For instance the Coca-Cola logo is known all over the world. It has changed over time sometimes even depending on the holiday. The one thing that has remained since 1886 is the logotype. The typeface that Coca-Cola uses is known as Spencerian script. It was developed in the mid 19th century based on a form of formal writing that was popular in the United States at the time (see www.logoblog.org for more information). I think I can safely say that if any of us saw any other word put in the Spencerian script, we would automatically think of Coca-Cola.
I suppose that it is quite easy to take typography for granted. After reading Lupton I think it will be really hard to ignore the impact it really has. The first part of the book Letter, offers the historical background of typefaces. I found it interesting they originated from calligraphy and how it serves as a functional basis for design.

2 comments:

  1. If you're interested in a visual history of the Coca-Cola logo, check out this site: http://cocacolaloft.blogspot.com/2006/04/coca-cola-script-trademarklogo.htmlc

    It has, for the most part, remained the same, which cannot be said for the company's strongest competitor, Pepsi, seen here: http://laughingliondesign.net/2008/10/new-pepsi-logo/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I am not the only one who felt that way. I never really paid any attention to typefaces either, but now I see them everywhere! I get to think about why the designer may have used a certain font.
    The example of the Coca-Cola logo was interesting too. If I saw that typeface elsewhere, I would have thought of Coca-Cola too.

    ReplyDelete