Thursday, September 24, 2009

lilianchan_resume

Rationale

Name: Lilian Chan
Project: Woodmark & Resumé
Date: September 20th, 2009

Visual message
The design that I was going for in my resumé was a clean and minimalistic one to showcase a little bit of my personality which is simple and fuss-free. The woodmark was not overly intricate which complements the overall design of the resumé perfectly. The section headers and body text are lined to follow the contact details on top making the whole text structured in the center of the page therefore giving a balanced and neat look to the resumé. The key look to the overall design of the resumé is meant to give the impression that I am someone who is well-organized and systematic in her work.

Audience
The resumé is intended for perspective employers who are in the magazine industry, specifically magazines catering to women’s interests.

Design strategy
The woodmark was purposely designed to not be over the top as to implement a style of simplicity. The woodmark sits at the top left of the page and is bigger than the rest of the text in the resumé so that my name ‘pops’ out and may be easily remembered. The woodmark is a combination of two typefaces: for ‘lilian’, Avenir LT Std. Light was used because it seemed to have a very professional feel to it and it was also easy on the eyes whereas for ‘chan’, ITC Isadora Std. Regular was used because it created a feminine touch to the my name which was suitable as I am greatly interested in writing about women’s interests. The ‘h’ from the ‘chan’ that circles the ‘i’ from ‘lilian’ bonds the two names together to show that I am serious about my work although the field is entirely about women’s interests. The ‘lilian’ and ‘chan’ are in different colors too because I prefer being called by my first name rather than my last name. However, all the letters in my name are in lowercase because although I am professional and serious about my work, I have an easy-going nature. The body text follows the main design of the woodmark - section headers use ITC Isadora Std. Regular with the same tinting percentage as the ‘chan’ from the woodmark whereas the rest of the body text are using various types from the Avenir typeface family.

Style sheet
Woodmark: lilian - Avenir LT Std. Light, 60/72
chan - ITC Isadora Std. Regular, 60/72, 60% tint
Contact details: Avenir LT Std. Light, 9.5/14.4, metrics
Section headers: Avenir Lt Std. Light, 12/14.4, 60% tint
Body text: Section titles - Avenir LT Std. Blk, 9.5/11.4
Section details - Avenir LT Std. Light, 9.5/11.4
Dates - Avenir LT Std. Light, 9.5/11.4, 60% tint

Document grid
Top margin: 3pc0
Bottom margin: 8pc11
Left body margin: 5pc6
Right body margin: 7pc9

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lilian! I love your word mark; I chose to use all lower case letters as well. I feel like you were trying to be simple yet still creative with it, which I love. I also love how your word mark has a fanciness to it that you get from the "h" and "n" without your whole name being in a cursive font. The second font you chose also is very legible and clear. Great job!

    ReplyDelete