Thursday, September 24, 2009

el resume



Angela Hu

Wordmark & Résumé Project

9/22/2009

Visual Message: I wanted my résumé to look clean and simple but also sleek. I utilized a large portion of the white space on the paper to make the résumé look spacious. My wordmark especially was the most difficult to contour in order to complement the feel I wanted to give off to future employers. But the contrast of colors between my wordmark establishes my first and last name very clearly. I wanted employers to be able to see my name first and follow the natural lines on the paper to the rest of my résumé.

Audience: My target audience for this résumé is geared towards more the creative realm of job opportunities. I hope to work with non-profit or companies that are making an effort to create a cultural and social influence in modern culture.

Design strategy: I thought that the position of my wordmark, especially the “g” in my name blatantly expressed that I want my employers to see my name first. I made the “g” in my name in its own textbox and enlarged it enough so the little earmark from the g draws the eyes into the middle of the résumé. I put the wordmark in the top left corner, in the most traditional sense, because I wanted to evoke a feeling of modern and vintage quality in my résumé. The design of my résumé is very simple, but holistically, portrays that I am an individual in my own right with the chosen typeface of my wordmark. I especially gravitated towards Bernhard Modern Std for my wordmark because it looked relatively classy and also the serif typeface added an old-school spin to my name. I chose Stempel Garamond Lt Std for my body because it was especially easy-to-read, but also complemented the elements present in my wordmark.

Style Sheet:

Wordmark:

“An”- Bernhard Modern Std 95/114, optical kerning, tracking -80

“G”- Bernhard Modern Std 125/ 150, metrics

“ela”- Bernhard Modern Std 95/114, optical kerning, tracking -100, -80

“Hu”- Bernhard Modern Std 120/144, optical kerning, tracking -80

Programs: Stempel Garamond Lt Std Bold, 10/12, metrics

Leadership Roles: Stempel Garamond Lt Std, 9/10.8, metrics

Address & E-mail: Stempel Garamond Lt Std, 9/10.8, metrics

Date & Location: Stempel Garamond Lt Std, 9/10.8, metrics, italicized

Body Text: Stempel Garamond Lt Std, 9/10.8, metrics

Document Grid:

Top margins: 2p6

Bottom margin: 3p7

Left body margin: 5p2

Right body margin: 8p6

4 comments:

  1. i saw yours before when you were working on it... i love your wordmark. i love how you can fit u first same in there and make the whole thing compact and fits all together like a puzzle piece

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angela! I think your wordmark does a good job in grabbing the reader's attention. The "g" looks a little bigger than the other letters, I want to think you did that on purpose or it's how the font is? Haha...but I think either way it works well because it's in the center of the word. I also thought your activities section looked really organized with the slashes instead of bullets or commas.The only thing I would maybe say is the education part. Maybe you don't have to write "anticipated gradution" and instead just write the date. It makes you sound unsure if you'll graduate on time or not for some reason....Anyways, your resume just had an overall flow and I loved it!
    -Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Angela,

    I really like your wordmark! It defiantly catches the reader's eye, especially the way in which the "a" hugs up to the "h" and the "n" hovers perfectly over the "u". I was also wondering if the "g" was meant to be bigger or if it is so because of the font. Either way it works by adding contrast Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very good example of maintaining a strong hierarchy of information. You worked with a lot of text but organized it properly, allowing it to be easily processed. Also, your wordmark is well-done -- subtle yet proper and memorable.

    ReplyDelete