Thursday, September 17, 2009

Current Event: An uplifting image from a tragic event

The events of September 11, 2001 are widely regarded as one of the greatest tragedies in U.S. history, at least in recent memory. So how does one immortalize everything surrounding that event with a logo? The National September 11 Memorial and Museum at the World Trade Center enlisted the help of designer Landor, in New York, to create a new identity for the museum, set to open in 2011, that would portray not only remembrance for the victims but also the strength and rebuilding that the nation has shown. The new design is as follows:

http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/memorial_period.php

The new design is very simple, some might say too simple. I think it highly effective however. Personally, I think something like this needs to be treated with as much solemnity as possible without being depressing and negative. This logo does exactly that. The simplicity of the new logo compared to the old one, below, has a rawness to it that speaks much more than a multi directional and complicated logo would. The change in color for the 11 is also a very nice touch showing remembrance in representing the towers but also a look forward as they are almost faded in comparison to the black lettering. The new logo was adopted in place of this:
http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/a_new_voice_for_the_world_trad.php

The old logo was by no means a bad one, just not the right one. Listing the full name of the museum and tilting the graphic in an artistic way gives it the feel of a company logo. In a way, I realize that it is a company logo for the museum but the museum is a memorial and not a business which is why I don't think the old logo fit as well. 

It is difficult trying to encapsulate so many ideas and emotions with a single logo, especially in the instance of a national disaster. The new logo for the "9/11 Memorial" does about as good of a job as it can considering the circumstances and I think it well thought out and effective.  

Current event and graphics were obtained from Brand New: Opinions on Corporate and Brand Identity Work. 

6 comments:

  1. I agree with you. I like the latest logo because it is more simple yet powerful. Although intricately designed logos may be more attractive at times, I personally think that simple designs usually convey a stronger message to the public.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although we have not covered colors in class thus far, I do not think the purple was a correct choice of color. I believe, as you said, it gives it a business-like feel. Also, having such a close representation of the towers in the graphic was, to me, too overwhelming. I think many people may look on feeling sad or resulting in a drop in their mood, when really I think we need something showing our look of hope and rebuilding of the country's future.

    The new logo with the 11 in blue is very impressive as it serves as both a number and a representation of the towers. It is more subtle than the previous logo. Blue is also a calm, cool and peaceful color to me; symbolizing a relief.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also like the simplicity of the design, and I think it was especially clever how they used the 11 to represent the towers. The color choices they made are interesting; the colors of the new logo definitely pop more. Although I like the contrast between the black and blue, the particular blue they chose looks too bright, almost a little playful. I do like this logo a lot better than their older one, but I'm not completely in love with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The new logo is a lot more eye-catching and memorable. I thought using the number 11 to represent the twin towers was pretty creative and the blue definitely brings attention to it.

    However, I agree with the comment above on the color of the blue being too bright. If they had used the blue used in the previous logo, it would look better and maybe more professional. Right now, it looks like something you would see on a t-shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The new "9/11" design is subtle and creative, but I don't know if it works as a representation of the memorial itself. The old logo is very plain but it feels more professional, more applicable to a foundation's image. The recent design is far more aesthetically sound yet it doesn't seem functional to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's what Allie had to say about this logo on the other class blog: http://graphics2176b.blogspot.com/2009/09/as-we-all-know-last-friday-marked-8.html

    ReplyDelete