Thursday, September 10, 2009

As Told By Lupton, Interpreted by Lilian

I've always thought that typeface was limited to what was found in the font toolbar of Microsoft Word. Needless to say, I've always been a Windows user (though I am slowly switching to a Mac...), and I've always encountered moments of frustration when Microsoft Word doesn't provide the typeface I want.

Now, after reading the first chapter of Lupton's book, I realize that while I may not have used the ideal typeface all these years, what I did not realize is how much I've underestimated typography. Who knew that there would be this many different types of typefaces? And, who knew that just like human beings, typeface would have anatomy?

Just like music and other various aspects of life, the modern typeface that we have now did not just magically appear. Through different eras, different typefaces were formed. As Lupton wrote, the first typefaces were modeled on the forms of calligraphy. Despite all the new and hip typeface that has been created, my personal favorites have always been those that resembled calligraphy/handwriting just because such typeface has a more personal feel to it.

Though said typeface may appeal to me, they might not work in some situations. That's when typeface becomes more than just a font you use to type in a computer and becomes an important part of everyday life. Here's an example of a typeface that I found interesting:

Most of us know Kate Moss as an international supermodel but it wasn't until she created a line for British's high street brand TOPSHOP that she became a brand herself. This woodmark is actually for her line for TOPSHOP; it has since then became her new identity formed by Peter Saville who collaborated with typographer Paul Barnes. In the article, Saville mentioned that for the brand, he needed something that was popular, boho and long-lasting. He consulted Barnes who then suggested Brodovitch Albro, a typeface by Alexey Brodovitch.

Personally, I feel that the typeface for this woodmark did not strike as particularly popular and boho, but it did seem different compared to the other brands I've seen. I would've like to see a more striking typeface but I guess my personal opinion probably doesn't matter since the line Kate Moss for TOPSHOP has been selling incredibly well in many countries, my own included!

No comments:

Post a Comment