Thursday, September 24, 2009

Mike Estabrook - Resume

Visual Message

I’m a reserved, diligent person, so that is what I set out to express while designing this resumé. I wanted my wordmark to represent a serious work ethic and not distract from the body. By restraining the wordmark’s effect, while still being visually memorable, and combining it with a straightforward body type, I attempted to make what I have to offer to employers the primary focus. Though minimalism can suggest lack of creativity, I believe it represents how I emphasize strong content output over presentation without substance.

Audience

            My ideal audience is a publication’s editorial staff, specifically a music and/or arts specialty magazine.

Design Strategy

            I aimed to associate the design of my resumé with subtlety and respectability. Pursuing a career as a writer means my name becomes linked with my ideas and personality. The sans-serif Avenir typeface in my wordmark does not overtly grab attention but instead asserts these characteristics, as well as my professionalism. I did not want my typeface to exceed the importance of the resumé’s message. Also, the Chaparral Pro body typeface is easy-to-read and doesn’t stand out, allowing employers to analyze what is on the resumé without being put-off by the font choice.

Style Sheet

            Wordmark:

First name: Avenir LT Std 85 Heavy, 45, 35 kerning between K/E, 50 kerning between E/e, -150 tracking

Last name: Avenir LT Std 45 Book Oblique, 45, metric kerning, -10 tracking

Address & E-Mail:

Avenir LT Std 45 Book, 10, metric kerning, 0 tracking

Section Headers:

Avenir LT Std 85 Heavy (gray), 13, metric kerning, 0 tracking

Body Text:

Chaparral Pro Semibold, 11.5, metric kerning, 0 tracking

Chaparral Pro Italic, 11.5, metric kerning, 0 tracking

Chaparral Pro Regular, 10, metric kerning, 0 tracking

Document Grid

            Top Margin: 3p4

            Bottom Margin: 4p1.928

            Left Body Margin: 5p9.429

            Right Body Margin: 5p7

1 comment:

  1. It's clever how the gray lines on the top and bottom of the resume are complementing each other and symmetrical to each other. And I like how there is a contrast between the capital letters in Mike and the lowercase letters in Estabrook. The section headers and your contact information are in the same font as your wordmark, so it sort of ties everything together. Your resume is very simple and straight to the point.

    ReplyDelete