Friday, September 11, 2009

Lupton and the importance of typeface

After reading Lupton and after talking about typeface in class, it's hard to believe that I never really took notice of different fonts, word arrangements, etc. All my life I've been exposed to typeface in numerous ways (ads, different websites, books, etc.) But only now have my eyes been open to the importance of typeface.
The font, the spacing, the arrangement-it's all important to how the message is conveyed. Never before have a realized this so clearly. In the past I have been ignorant to the fact that typeface is so important. I never looked at an advertisement or a company's logo and thought, "That's nice, but the typeface looks off." Now, I'll look at a logo or poster and think if the typeface conveys the right message.
What really opened my eyes to this was the example of Hummer. If the Hummer logo was any different, a thinner font or more spaced out, it wouldn't fit the product Hummer sells (which are over sized, gas-guzzling SUVs).
As we have said, typeface is used in different ways to convey the type of a certain product. this is ertainly evident in movie titles. The way in which a title of a movie is written often hels to predict what type of movie it will be. Look at the poster below for "30 Days of Night." This movie was classified as a horror movie. On the poster, you can see that the title is written in blood read and in a font that looks as though it were speared on, which gives it an eerie tone.


In contrast to this, look at the poster above for "Dude, Where's My Car?". In this poster, the lettering is big and bubbly, which gives it a fun effect. This is much more fitting for a comedy, which "Dude, Where's My Car?" is.

No comments:

Post a Comment