Friday, September 11, 2009

Lupton "Text" chapter

I began to pay much more attention to text after reading the "Text" chapter from Lupton. Although I always found myself more attracted to certain logos more than others, or doodling my name in different fonts to find which shapes and structures of the letters looked best, I did not really see the importance of choosing text.
What I found to be fascinating about the chapter was the fact that Lupton could talk about the alphabet and its letters in a way that actually made me think about its importance not only for reading purposes but for its appearance as well. Like he mentioned in the chapter on pg. 67, the alphabet developed its own resources by becoming a representation of the words people spoke. Speaking of text representing not only the word people speak, but also what the word stands for,
one of my favorite logos to look at is the Vogue logo. Its letters are elongated and all capitalized, standing tall and so glamorous! The text is also bolded, indicating what Vogue stands for in the fashion industry as the bold, trendsetting magazine. It's interesting to think about if the logo lacked these characteristics of the text, what kind of impression it would leave on the readers or anybody who saw the logo.
I also decided to compare the Vogue logo with the TeenVogue logo. In order to acknowledge the fact that TeenVogue is a branch off of Vogue, the magazine kept its original logo. However, to represent the younger generation, the hipness, and the less classic trends and fashion, TeenVogue used an all lower case approach to it. The all lower case to me tells me that this magazine is less serious than the original Vogue, and something a little more flirty and young. In order to add to that concept, the magazine also used a flashy and bright red for the color of the font. I also have to point out that Vogue used a good technique that is emphasized in Lupton's reading that talks about the importance of spacing and the contribution it makes to the design. I also believe that spacing makes all the difference in the world and is important in logos. In TeenVogue's case for example, the absence of the space in between TeenVogue allows the magazine to show readers that they are not simply producing a mini version of Vogue with all the same ideas and pictures for the younger generation. Instead, they are branding TeenVogue as its separate magazine and to have its own personality.


No comments:

Post a Comment