Saturday, September 26, 2009

Jillian Duff Resume











Jillian Duff

Project: Wordmark & Resumé

9/21/09

Visual Message

Through the design of my resumé, I hope to communicate that I am a unique and creative, yet professional potential employee. My wordmark complements the rest of the design on the page as it establishes space and orients the positioning of every other text placement. I decided upon a landscape resume to depict my youthful and enthusiastic approach that I can offer a company. However, I felt the need to organize the main body text into two clean, even and similar sized columns in order to demonstrate my professional qualities of being confident, motivated, dedicated and bold. I hope to overall show my strength as a leader.

Audience

I will be sending this resumé to Eric Mower and Associates for a creative copy summer internship. I may also send this to Galaxy Communications for creative advertising/writing and event planning, which may include some minor alterations in the hierarchy and wording of job responsibilities.

Design Strategy

The initial impression my wordmark makes is to draw the viewer to my bold printed name, and then lead the eye outwards to my contact information and up to the main body text. It functions in the page’s hierarchy as the boldest and largest point of interest with a substantial amount of white space around it, yet not too bold and large as to take away from the other critical information. It serves as the fixed point of which to position every other body of text strategically around it using the hard lines (bottom of “duff” and left side of the “u”). The lower cased letters of the wordmark also portray this message of its importance along with the natural need to read the other two columns of text right after meanwhile establishing a level of comfort and ease with the use of my nick name. I chose Gill Sans and Helvetica as my two families of fonts as they complement each other in the sans serifs attribute, and yet are dissimilar enough to provide contrast, consistency and visual vocabulary for headers, body text, etc. Both fonts have large enough families to offer a variety of choices and both give off a youthful and creative feel, but still professional.

Style Sheet

WORDMARK: Gill Sans MT regular, 50/60, optical kerning, tracking 0

“du” OF WORDMARK: Gill Sans MT regular, 50/60, metrics kerning, tracking 0

CONTACT INFORMATION: Gill Sans regular, 14/16.8, metrics kerning, tracking 0

SECTION HEADERS: Gill Sans regular, 14/16.8, metrics kerning, tracking 0

SCHOOLS & JOBS: Helvetica bold, 10/12, metrics kerning, tracking 0

JOB POSITIONS: Helvetica bold oblique, 10/12, metrics kerning, tracking 0

JOB LOCATIONS & DATES: Helvetica Neue light, 10/12, metrics kerning, tracking 0

BODY TEXT: Helvetica Neue regular, 9/10.8, metrics kerning, tracking 0

Document Grid

TOP MARGIN: 4p11.633

BOTTOM MARGIN: 2p8.511

LEFT BODY MARGIN: 7p3.6

RIGHT BODY MARGIN: 4p7.8

Sources & Influences

After meeting with Professor Ed Russell about the portfolio class I will be taking this spring, he emailed me an ideal portfolio by a man named Andy Pearson who attended The Creative Circus portfolio school in Georgia. His resumé was set up landscape and the entire concept of being “on its side” as something different and intriguing inspired me to do the same.

Extras

A concern pertaining to the landscape layout is that there will be no organized room in which to add more jobs, activities, etc. However, with the clear-cut columns I believe altering/adding will not be a problem. Furthermore, I seek to replace certain jobs and activities that do not completely relate to my career goal as a copywriter with newer and more relevant items.

No comments:

Post a Comment