Friday, December 11, 2009

Wrap Up Post

I didn't think I would be cut out for a graphics course. I never tried anything creative outside of writing, and I had only basic, minor experience with InDesign. But, this class has been beneficial in many ways that I didn't expect. I now have a strong grasp of previously daunting programs (and can show off to all my "artsy" friends back home who think they know everything). Typography is now a big deal to me. Alicia and I even had a serious discussion about how Rolling Stone got the Madonna layout all wrong. You know a course was important and worthwhile when it changes your perspective outside of the classroom. I don't look at logos, type choices, magazines, etc., the same way I did when I was apprehensive about enrolling in the class. All of the hard work and extra time in the labs were frustrating at times, but now, as I think about it, I'm extremely glad this course immerses you within the topic. Our final products were of course important, but the process of learning what works, what doesn't and how to put it all together will stay with me as I move on to other courses and projects. Learning how to design is like riding a bike...I'll withhold the rest of the metaphor.

No comments:

Post a Comment