Friday, December 11, 2009

hasta luego baby

This semester has gone by too quickly – in the blink of an eye, a computer illiterate being like myself has managed to grasp the adobe programs...and learned to love graphics more than I can imagine. Just like everyone else, I was petrified going into this class. Given that it was a requirement for my then major public relations, I enrolled, expecting boring lectures and an inundated amount of tests and quizzes. Of course, graphics turned out to be one of the most pleasant surprises in my schedule this semester. It became my favorite class, despite the fact that I think I sold my soul to the Newhouse lab devil since. 

But expectations aside, I really am so genuinely happy to have taken the course. My world has been provoked once again, and I enjoy the minute details that typography and great design brings into my life. I feel I've been challenged as a observer through graphics 217...and trying to dissect a logo or design beats those awkward moments in Newhouse when you run into people you really don't want to see. Learning how to design resumes, logos, magazines and websites have also been a huge asset towards my path as a student. Graphics solidified my decision in changing my major to magazine, because I realized that I very much want to immerse myself in an industry that values aesthetics and detail. 

I only hope that other students who have taken graphics 217 can say the same about the course. Greg's genuine concern and interest in students and an otherwise honest (and very much critical eye) has changed how I look at magazines and logos. And in addition, it's great that our class had such a great TA like Chloe who was so extremely helpful and open to suggestion throughout the projects. I very much have a bittersweet feeling departing with this course – knowing that there will be no more manic 3 am moments in the newhouse lab trying to figure how to salvage a file will be blissful – but this class has been one of the most thought-provoking and interesting class I've taken in Newhouse so far. I've realized that all the hype with graphics was true; I fully embrace the nerdiness that I actually secretly love sitting in front of a computer, trying to perfect a design. 

C'est la vie.

No comments:

Post a Comment