Friday, December 4, 2009

Wave to Google: The Google Wave



I love my google. And therefore, with the newest launch of beta "Google Wave," I couldn't wait to play with it. However, I guess the word beta should have been a harbinger of the demise of the wave. The concept is clever and wholesome – Google masters basically invented a program that allows regular people like us to interact with each other in real time on the internet, thus bringing us further away from human contact. I kid, but really, that's how it works. Just like Gmail was in its beta stages, one needs to be invited to be able to use Google Wave. Once everyone's on, we all can "wave" and send documents, go online, have video conversations, all at the same time. I'm still trying to figure it out, but Google describes the wave as "an online tool for real-time communication and collaboration. A wave can be both a conversation and a document where people can discuss and work together using richly formatted text, photos, videos, maps, and more."


I will say I was initially and am still very disappointed with the design of Google Wave. For a company that prides itself on ingénue, Google Wave really didn't impress. The navigation and headers were very much like Gmail and although it came with a very thorough tutorial, I still felt let down by the whole application itself. But then again, it is in its early stages. I'm sure the Google masters will find a new way to stump us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment