Friday, December 4, 2009

The New Sun Maid Girl Controversey

tumblr_kqpfaz7eCk1qzm6mho1_400.jpg fullzzzzzzprw081113195634pic.jpg


The Sun Maid Raisins girl got a makeover and it has caused so much controversy! I don't understand why people are making such a great deal about it, but I personally don't like this new change. Betty Crocker did it, Aunt Jemima did it, and Mrs. Butterworth all did it so I guess the Sun Maid Girl thought she had to keep up and become younger and "prettier" as well. It's probably a result of all the media images that we have around today in television, movies, magazines, etc. Although I have no problem with modern images and such, to me, this Sun Maid Girl looks like Barbie. I thought the old Sun Maid Raisins Girl looked fine the way she was and if anything, gave a more home-ier touch to the brand. Now for some reason, the brand looks like it isn't as authentic and established as it was before. This new Sun Maid Raisins Girl, who by the way looks like she had a fake tan and has a lot of make-up on, makes the brand look cheaper. If I were a loyal customer to the product, I would also start to think if my raisins would change or taste different too. For some reason, the new face of the box bothers me. It just looks so fake and superficial and unpromising? I don't know why, but I don't think I'll buy these raisins anymore. Supposedly the girl is going to get a name and have advertisements that portray her doing "womanly" things such as working out, and going shopping/grocery shopping. She might even speak multiple languages. I understand the company is trying to modernize their brand, but I'm not buying it.


1 comment:

  1. giving the new Sun-Girl a makeover is probably a good idea since she has looked the same for the last 37 years

    ReplyDelete