Friday, November 13, 2009

YouTube's website is an extremely user-friendly website because of its grid set-up. Its wide margins provide lots of white space, which bring more attention to the snapshot photos of the videos. The six column grid provides structure and serves purpose in the overall organization. It allots area for an large advertisement at the top along with smaller ones vertically descending down the right side. The boundaries are not broken and I believe that gives the user a sense of comfortability in always knowing what part of each page to view in order to select the videos. One will always find the help and policy sections at the bottom and videos will always go vertically down as "being watched now", "featured videos" and "most popular". The gutters are not too wide as to create tension, but just about the right size. Every picture and type fits into the column in distinct box shapes to create continuity and consistency. I believe much of YouTube's success can be attributed to the user-friendly grid system it has accomplished.



3 comments:

  1. I agree..I think this is why youtube is so popular. They make it accessible to users of all ages and really encompass the media to viewer relationship through their grid design & system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree also. I think Youtube does a good job in making content easy to navigate and to find what you want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost did Youtube too! Haha yes, Youtube is definitely number one. I agree that the overall boundaries created by the grids remain unbroken and therefore make the site look very clean. A clean site is always user friendly in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete