Thursday, November 5, 2009

I <3 NY!

I never really thought about how the I Love NY logo until I read this blog entry: http://www.logodesignlove.com/i-love-new-york-logo (I am not able to link it for some reason). Before this class, I probably wouldn't have thought about how carefully each design or logo that showed up wherever I went was a carefully designed and structured work created by someone.
It's cool how no one actually has rights to, or owns the design. Maybe that's why it has become so popular and iconic not only to New York, not only within our country, but globally. I feel like it's some kind of movement; and the fact that it's a free design for everybody makes it seem more appropriate and perfect for its use globally and as one of NY's trademark designs. At the same time, I can't believe that the logo by Milton Glaser is free. He gets no credit or monetary payment whenever it is used. If I was an artist, it would sadden me if people did not know that the work I did was mine. At the same time, I have a lot of respect for him doing this. In a way, he gave back to the community with what he was gifted with, design, and while doing this he definitely made an impact on the world.
I'm also astonished, just as Milton Glaser said he was, that the logo has been around since 1975 yet it is still everywhere...and in my opinion it will continue to be everywhere. Maybe it's because the design in itself is so simple and genius. The design in itself, aside from it being free, is also very appealing to me because it's simple, well-structured, and uses only two colors. I love how the letters and heart are stacked on while using a serif font to keep it from being too plain. It's very versatile in its design, and something that everyone could wear, sport, enjoy, etc.

image: http://www.debutanteclothing.com/news/images/i-love-new-york.gif ( I couldn't post an image because my post wouldn't post. :( )

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if the I <3 NY logo would have become such an icon if it wasn't for free. This says nothing against the actual design itself. If it wasn't so accessible to begin with then perhaps it wouldn't have made such an impact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The I love NY logo has become something plastered and imitated everywhere, comparable perhaps to the Got Milk? logo and campaign. Its not just a logo...its pride in the city itself. Great, successful creation.

    ReplyDelete