Friday, November 13, 2009

LA BLOGOTHEQUE/Lupton



One of my favorite websites that I often visit is la blogotheque, a site devoted to "take away" shows of musical artists that span all spectrums of the musical genre. Besides the musicians that they film playing in the streets, cafés or a small churches, the website dedicated to the shows is also very well-designed and sophisticated. The grid system that is implemented in the site is very simple but ultimately, gets the job done. To me, the whole site itself looks very vintage. Using a multicolumn grid design, each row has four pictures of artists that link to the actual video. It's not very complicated and makes it easy for viewers who have horrible eyesight (like me) to read. When I'm sifting through the site for a particular video or artist, I'm easily guided by the natural lines of the grid. I think one thing that I really enjoy about the design of this site is the use of white space, or in this case, gray/black space. It allows the box of each artist to essentially "breathe" and doesn't give off the impression that the creators of the site were trying to cram every last band they filmed on the site. I feel carefree looking at the site, and even more so listening to and watching the take away shows late at night.

One of my favorite artist is Bon Iver and when clicked on the link, the site redirects itself to a new page. The grid system here is also very simplistically designed but again, aesthetically pleasing to the eye. The grid deviates from the 4-column grid, but rather, keeps it down to 2 large columns. The "take away" shows take up a very large portion of the column, while the sidebar is filled with info about other shows. The creators manage to squeeze even more multi-designed grids within the sidebar, making the whole design and idea of the redirected site useful.


Overall, I've realized that I gravitate towards sites that have often inconspicuous well-designed website layouts. It's representative of the creators' aesthetic preference directed to a large media base. la blogotheque has completed the job, but even more so with the "take away" shows that they film and the artists that they invite.

No comments:

Post a Comment