Thursday, November 19, 2009

That's OD... (Feature for Ohverdose Magazine)











Magazine Identity and Readership: My magazine’s name is Ohverdose (because my last name is Oh) and it focuses on music, fashion, art and pop culture. I liked the style of Nylon Magazine so Ohverdose is my rendition of that. My intended readership is for guys and girls. Pharrell appeared in the Nylon Guys edition but I feel that the way I designed my article can work for both audiences.

Magazine Visual Identity: I wanted to convey creativity, energy and an urban feel. My content is for people who appreciate art, street fashion, design/typography and other offbeat things. I intend convey all of these things through the use of color, typography and layout in a non-traditional way.

Article Visual Identity: I wanted to convey that my subject was someone who was offbeat, quirky and creative. My subject is someone who excels at many things but also does it in a creative way by breaking boundaries which is why I titled my piece “Coloring Outside the Lines” because that is what Pharrell does. He also has synesthesia a condition where he can see sounds and has heightened visual and auditory senses.

Article Design Strategey: I used a downloaded font to go with the theme of “Coloring Outside the Lines” because the font has color bleeding out of it. I made the page look like a close up of a coloring book to go with that concept. The initial impression my feature makes is a subject that is very energetic, unique and imaginative. The photo especially shows his energy and the colored lighting reflects his imagination and complements my title. I repeated the coloring book pages in my sidebars for my jump spread. I also kept the bright colors to make things stand out.

Extras: I originally wanted to use CMYK because they go well together and are very bright but the yellow didn’t show up well so I went with the green that was on the feature photo. I thought these bright colors conveyed a hip and upbeat tone. Pharrell is a kid at heart so bright colors go with that child-like spirit of imagination and energy.

9 comments:

  1. This magazine the spreads you made are so exciting! I also love Pharrell, so seeing this article chosen interests me a lot. I think the carryout of the blue and pink and the common gray backgrounds in some of the photos is so consistent and appealing. The entire piece is so energetic and inviting. The photos you chose show him as the versatile and unique individual that he is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you =)

    Yes!! I love Pharrell!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really love what you did with this spread. Looking at it and knowing about Pharrell, this fits his personality so well. I feel like this appeals to so many. It's fun and energetic and stays consistent throughout. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really nice job. All of the spreads have a lot of energy from the colors which gives off an upbeat tone which works well with the subject matter. I like the type used for the feature spread title. Is that from the suitcase or did you find it somewhere else? Either way it plays well off the title itself. Very impressive, by the way, that you did so many jump spreads.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks you guys!

    I downloaded the font from Dafont.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great design overall. The vibrant colors that tie into the images and Pharrell's style and personality. I think you did an excellent job of finding a distinct theme and adhering to it throughout your layouts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your spreads especially the feature spread! Good choice of colors, the neon colors really give the spread that funky and hip look which complements Pharrell's personality really well. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your magazine is very attractive with its colors and style similar to Nylon's. Also, I am in love with Pharrell so that definitely appealed to me so much more! I like the way you carried over the Article Headline texture/font over to the jump spread body. It kept things consistent, no matter what direction you took the rest of your body.
    Also, the name of your magazine coincidentally is a name my friend uses here at SU! His last name is Oh too and he uses Ohverdose and "OD" as his stage name so I think it's very clever. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great project! It's quirky and hip and is tied together throughout the whole thing with not only colors, but with the emotional feel (excitement!) as well. You really went the extra mile with your additional jump spreads, and I think it came out really well. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete