Thursday, November 19, 2009

Mag Project



Magazine Identity and Readership
My magazine would be a men’s magazine. It would deal in subjects in pop-culture, ranging from movies to music. It would talk about people in the public eye, and those that are big at the time. The readership of my magazine would be men ranging in age from 18-35.

Magazine Visual Identity
I intend to present my magazine as a higher end men’s magazine. When using visuals, I would rather show women clothed, rather than just trying to sell sex. Also, I want to create a sense of complete balance. I don’t want my articles to be text dominant, nor do I want them to be visually dominant.

Article Visual Identity
I intend to convey a sense of balance with my design. I did not want it to be too text heavy. I also didn’t wan to use too many pictures that would distract the reader from the article. Therefore I tried to balance the two. I also wanted to be simple in my design.

Article Design Strategy
With my feature spread, I wanted to make people stop at this article. To do this, I used a dominate photo of just Kate’s face. To offset this, I used big type on the opposite page. I used Monotype Corsiva, which I thought worked very well with the curves and curls of Kate’s hair. I continue using the simple display in my article. I used one dominate photo, with simple typeface that is very easy to read. I t also seems like a more higher-end typeface.

Style Sheet
Cover Spread Headline:
“the”- Bell Gothic Std Bold, 55/66, metrics kerning
“great”- Bell Gothic Std Bold, 85/102, metrics kerning
“Kate”- Monotype Corsiva, 200/240, metrics kerning
Deck Head: Bell Gothic Std Bold, 17/20.4, metrics kerning
By Line: Bell Gothic Std Bold, 13/15.6, metrics kerning
Drop Cap: Monotype Corsiva, 200/240, metrics kerning
First Paragraph: Minion Pro, 17/18, Metrics kerning
Body Copy: Minion Pro, 9.5/13, metrics kerning
Folio: Minion Pro, 9/10.8, metrics kerning
Pull Quote:
Words- Bell Gothic Std Bold, 17/20.4, metrics
Quotation Marks- Monotype Corsiva, 200/240, metrics kerning
Side Bar:
Title: movies/kate- Monotype Corsiva, 32/30
That…- Bell Gothic Std Bold 18/24
Body: Bell Gothic Std Bold, 9.5/11.4

Document Grid
I used an eight column grid. This allowed me to more easily line things up that wouldn’t be possible with a smaller amount of columns. My top margin is 4p3 and my bottom is 4p10. This creates more white space on the page, and makes it look more appealing to read.

Sources
Cover Spread Picture: http://fliiby.com/file/332960/n6rhswypi4.html
Underworld Picture: http://images1.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Underworld-Evolution-underworld-1168766_1600_1200.jpg
Spread Dominant Visual: http://up.murderousintent.com/models/pl_images/Kate%20Beckinsale16.jpg
Click Picture: http://p4.p.pixnet.net/albums/userpics/4/6/215046/1157880756.jpg
Pearl Harbor Picture: http://images.allmoviephoto.com/2001_Pearl_Harbor/ben_affleck_kate_beckinsale_pearl_harbor_001.jpg

4 comments:

  1. Is this the article from Esquire? Because I was going to do the same one and I really like what you've done with it. The feature spread is particularly strong I think. The picture is strong and feminine, effective if you're portraying her as the sexiest woman alive, and I think your type compliments it well. Obviously, her name is made to look like her hair but I like the choice of using a red type and staggering it like that. It adds a nice texture. Really good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job with this, it's clean and professional.

    I really like your use of text... and your ability to find the perfect one. For me it's sooooooo hard to find a fitting font for anything cuz there are just too many options.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the typefaces and the colors you used in the opening spread. They complement each other well. Also, there's a nice balance between white space and text in your jump spread. It looks very clean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your spreads are very professional, and I think there's a simplicity to it that would work in a men's magazine. I like how you emphasized "Kate Beckinsale" and "Sexiest Woman Alive" with a different color and a different font on the feature spread. Overall, it looks very clean and organized. Good job!

    ReplyDelete